Monday, December 26, 2011

Book review: The New 1,000 Places to See Before You Die

1,000 Places to See Before You Die1,000 Places to See Before You Die by Patricia Schultz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is one of those books that can be used multiple ways.  I've heard about people having competitions to see which of their friends can visit more of the places listed in this book.  For me, I don't know that this is a book I would use to construct my "bucket list".  After all, I tend to seek the out of the way, more unique, known only to "locals" places.  One of my favorite memories in Europe was going to buy vegetables in a quaint little town in Holland with a local.  That would never make a tour guide book, but I loved seeing the town, interacting with the locals, and enjoying a dinner complete with fresh vegetables we bought that afternoon. 

This is an updated edition, the first one having been published in 2003.  I had only been to five of the places in the first book.  Since then, I've been to 30 places.  (Counting all Hong Kong, Los Angeles, etc. as a singular place.) 

For me, I think this book would best be used as a springboard of places I might want to see.  I realize when you are compiling a list of only 1000 places, you lose out on many sights that are important, but I could think of different places I would have included in this volume, both in the USA and on foreign soil.  (I was going to say Yad Vashem in Jerusalem is one of those places, but I just looked it up and it got a one sentence mention, so it was mentioned, but one of the most memorable places I've ever visited, and I would have given it more than a mention.)

However, that's the joy of this book.  It includes places I wouldn't, leaves out places I would, and gives a different "must see" perspective of this world, and after all, the world is as unique as the people who live in it, and everyone has their own ideas and opinions, and that includes what should be the "must see" places.  It is enjoyable to flip through and learn about different places all over the world!

Disclaimer:  I received a copy of this book free through the Goodreads First Reads program.  The opinions are my own.

You can buy it here from Amazon: The New 1000 Places to See Before You Die

No comments:

Post a Comment